Prep Time: marinate over night, then cook 2 hours
Author: base recipe is from Every Day Food Magazine a.k.a. Martha Stewart but I tweaked it a lot
Note: This sounds very simple in flavor, but it is heavenly. It’s a little work-but worth it! I recently tweaked this so if you already saw the original recipe and it has changed..that’s why!
Cooking spray or EVOO
1 cup chopped onion, like vidalia
3 garlic cloves, crushed (plus one more)
2 lbs beef skirt steak cut into small chunks
1 cup less-sodium beef broth (like Swanson’s 33% less sodium)
1 T lime juice
1 T sugar
2 t chili garlic sauce (this is a red pepper garlic sauce you can find in with the asian foods)
1 large unpeeled orange wedge/fatty slice of orange
1/2 t Jalapeno Salt (this is a specialty item…check the spanish/mexican foods isle)
red pepper flakes
1.In a one-gallon plastic bag, add the 3 cloves crushed garlic, beef chunks, broth, sugar, lime and chili garlic sauce. Marinate over night in the fridge.
2. In a large stock pot or skillet with lid, coat with cooking spray/EVOO and turn to medium-high heat; add onion and sauté 4 minutes. Add some fresh garlic, sauté 1 minute. Add beef, sauté 5 minutes.
3. Stir in the marinade; nestle orange wedge/slice into beef mixture and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat; simmer 1 & 1/2 hours. Remove and discard orange wedge. Add jalapeno salt and a few shakes of red pepper flakes according to your desire for heat.
4. Continue simmering additional 8 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates.
For the Tacos:
Warm up some corn tortillas – I used 6-inch white corn
1 cup chopped plum tomato
1/3 cup chopped red onion
1/4 cup diced, peeled avocado
2 T minced fresh cilantro (Please don’t use dried!)
1 T lime juice
1/8 t salt
1/8 t pepper
couple shakes of Adobo
1. Mix all the ingredients together and let it sit for about 15 minutes to marinate.
2. Put the Carnitas in the corn tortillas and top with salsa-HEAVEN!