This recipe was based off one I found on Allrecipes, however, I didn’t have the exact same ingredients. So here is my version. Unless you have children who like heat, they most likely will not like these. The ingredients don’t sound like much to write home about, but the flavor is out of this world good! I’d pay $5.00 for one of these burritos, hands down.
Spicy Black Bean Burritos
Serves: 4 (2 each)
Ready in: 25 minutes or less
8 (10-inch) flour tortillas
2 Tablespoons EVOO
1/2 small, white/yellow onion, finely chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
1 small can chopped green chilis (undrained)
1/2 cup grape tomatoes, sliced/diced
1 heaping Tablespoon jalapeno peppers (I used the jar variety), chopped
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
4 oz low fat cream cheese
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1 heaping teaspoon Adobo
1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili pepper
1. Heat oven to 350. Wrap tortillas in foil and place in oven to warm; roughly 15 minutes.
2. In a medium skillet, heat EVOO on medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper and saute 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add green chilis, tomatoes, jalapenos, beans and spices. Cook 3 minutes. Cut cream cheese into cubes and add to skillet. Cook 2 minutes or until cheese is thoroughly melted and combined.
3. Remove tortillas from oven and spoon mixture down center of tortilla, fold each end up, then wrap tightly. Serve immediately and YUM!!!!!!
- If you’ve never seen Adobo, don’t worry, I haven’t found it in a grocery store in St. Louis yet either. I am sure I need to go to a Mexican specialty market to get it. I just happen to have gobs of it on hand thanks to my BFF who lives in WA (where it is readily available everywhere).
- If you don’t have the spices on hand I mentioned, click on the original recipe I linked to from Allrecipes. That one calls for cumin, chili powder, fresh garlic and salt.
- If you have cilantro on hand, I bet it would be divine in these burritos!
- If you want a bigger more restaurant-style burrito, get the big tortillas.