2 bags popped, microwave popcorn (I did Newman’s Own Organic)
1 1/2 cups mixed nuts (I used peanuts, almonds, walnuts and pecans)
1/2 bar of Lindt Dark Chocolate with Sea Salt Crystals chocolate bar
1 stick plus 2 tablespoons salted butter
1/3 cup grade B maple syrup (Trader Joe’s)
1 1/4 cups packed dark brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Pop popcorn. Break chocolate bar into pieces. In a very large bowl (with a nice lid) place cooled popcorn, nuts and chocolate.
2. In a medium saucepan melt butter. Stir in maple syrup and brown sugar. Cook until sugar dissolves, stirring a few times. Raise heat to high and bring to a boil (don’t stir it). Boil about 2-4 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in baking soda (watch out, it’ll rise!).
3. Pour caramel over popcorn mixture. Place lid on bowl and then shake, shake, shake you’re bowl to get the popcorn nicely covered with the caramel. Transfer to 2 rimmed baking sheets (I lined mine with foil for easy clean up) spreading in a single layer. Bake about 35-45 minutes stirring twice. Test doneness by removing a few pieces from the oven. If they crisp up within one minute, it’s done.
4. Remove from the oven and immediately sprinkle with a little salt. Allow to cool COMPLETELY and totally. Zero heat can remain before you pack this baby up! (It’ll get soggy if it is still warm when you store it)
5. Once it’s nice and cool transfer to an airtight storage container. Depending on the humidity, it should last a couple of days.
Oh and PS! Try to pick out the un-popped kernels before you toss everything together! They can hurt your teeth!