I went poking around on Pinterest today for a chocolate cupcake recipe that used greek yogurt. This is the recipe I stumbled upon! I altered 3 things about it: 1) I used plain greek yogurt 2) I added one packet of Starbucks Via instant coffee and 3) I added 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. I already have a chocolate buttercream frosting that I threw in the freezer after making waaaaay too much for a cake (the recipe is below and I posted it as 1/2 of the original). So it is defrosting now. I’ll let you know how they turn out!
In the mean time…eat cake!
- 6 oz plain greek yogurt (I used Fage)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 packet instant coffee (I used Starbucks Via)
- 1 cup whole wheat white flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (see how I make mine here using 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar + 1/2 cup skim milk)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup boiling water
** UPDATE! Pardon the grainy picture…but Oh.My.Lanta were these great cupcakes! I already have mentioned the recipe and my tweaks. But what really added to these sweet little loves was the chocolate buttercream frosting. MMmmmmm!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
- 3/4 cup room temp salted butter (1.5 sticks)
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate cocoa (hershey’s special dark)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 4 cups sifted powdered sugar (1 lb)
- 1/4 cup milk
How to Make
- Cream butter and shortening together until smooth, approx 3 minutes using a paddle attachment.
- Slowly add sugar and cocoa, once all added crank up speed on mixer to med- high and whip it up for approx 1 min.
- Add milk, depending on your liking: stiffer~ less milk, creamier ~ more. If you add too much, no worries, just sift in a little more sugar.