Guys, it’s cold outside. I mean really, really cold. Hello January!
But just because it’s cold outside does NOT mean salad isn’t worth your time. This salad is very much worth your time. It’s adapted from Gimmie Some Oven because I didn’t have all the ingredients (and I’m taking it easy on grains) to make their Roasted Butternut Squash, Kale and Cranberry Couscous Salad. With just a few tweaks for what I did have on hand and the omission of the couscous, this was a perfect addition to our main course tonight.
……And I can’t wait to have it for lunch tomorrow!
Sweet Potato, Kale and Cranberry Citrus Salad
- 2 small sweet potatoes, boiled whole until tender, cooled, cubed
- 4 cups chopped kale leaves
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries, rehydrated
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 2 ounces plain goat cheese, crumbled
- easy orange vinaigrette (recipe below)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- pinch of salt and black pepper, to taste
TO MAKE THE SALAD:
- Prepare the sweet potatoes. I chose to boil mine whole because it’s just easy to do while I prep everything else. The skin comes off very easy this way too. Once they are fully cooked, set them aside to cool. Peel and cube the flesh. (I could not wait for this step. So I went ahead and prepared them while still warm. Therefore, they fell apart. STILL GOOD!)
- In a small bowl, combine cranberries with just enough water to cover the tops. This plumps them up a bit.
- Place chopped kale, cranberries (drain the water off them and spoon into the bowl), cooled sweet potatoes, almonds, goat cheese, vinaigrette, and toss to combine.
- Serve and enjoy!
TO MAKE THE VINAIGRETTE:
- Whisk all ingredients together until combined. Taste, and season with additional salt and pepper if needed.